No matter what you hear there’s no such thing as a maintenance-free home. What there is? A home that’s totally manageable to maintain when you break it down month by month. To help, here’s your July Home Maintenance Checklist.
- Wipe down porch lights, replace blown-out bulbs, and use glass cleaner to freshen up your home’s exterior entryway.
- Get rid of washer build-up with a cup of diluted bleach or white vinegar in the drum. For the dryer, remove and wash the lint screen—especially if you use dryer sheets.
- Wipe down and clean baseboards, doors, and light switches.
- Clean garbage disposal by sprinkling a half-cup of baking soda and one cup of white vinegar in the disposal. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before flushing it down the drain.
- Drain your water heater to flush out any sediment that could be affecting your heater’s performance.
- Wash pet beds, pet toys, travel carriers, etc.
- Replace worn-out or dirty entry rugs.
- Inspect fencing and gates around your home and make repairs as needed.
- Plan your fall vegetable garden. My recommendations? Brussel sprouts, broccoli, and kale.
Remember, home maintenance doesn’t have to be overwhelming! Just do a little bit each month, be proud of yourself, then move on to bigger and better things!